{{r.fundCode}} {{r.fundName}} {{r.series}} {{r.assetClass}}

You are currently viewing the Canadian website. You can change your location here.

Terms and conditions for Canada

Welcome to the new RBC iShares digital experience.

Find all things ETFs here: investment strategies, products, insights and more.

.hero-subtitle{ width: 80%; } .hero-energy-lines { } @media (max-width: 575.98px) { .hero-energy-lines { background-size: 300% auto; } }

In this article, we answer frequently asked questions about the tax slips issued when you receive mutual fund distributions in non-registered accounts. The guidance below does not apply to your holdings in a registered account. Read about taxes on investments in your RRSP or TFSA here.

Taxes and investing in mutual funds

This PDF guide provides general tax information related to the purchase and sale of mutual fund investments in a nonregistered account, with a specific focus on how mutual fund distributions are taxed.

Download the guide
people calculating data computer
What’s a T3 tax slip (or Relevé 16 for Quebec residents)? What do I do with it?

Every year that a mutual fund pays out distributions in your non-registered account, you will receive a T3/Relevé 16 tax slip (see image below). This form is also known as a Statement of Trust Income Allocations and Designations. It states:

  • the total amount of income the fund distributed in the previous year
  • the amount of each type of taxable income you received (dividend, capital gain, etc). To learn more, read Understanding mutual fund distributions.

You must declare all of this income on your tax return. The only exception is return of capital.

Is the income noted on my tax slip related to the returns of the fund?

No. Distributions are not necessarily related to fund performance. In fact, a fund may pay distributions to you even though it has a negative rate of return for the year.

I sold some mutual funds during the past year and realized some capital gains. Will the capital gains from that sale be included on my T3 tax slip (or Relevé 16)?

No. Your T3 tax slip (or Relevé 16) shows only capital gains that the fund distributes to you. If you sell units during the year, you will receive a T5008 statement. This details your transactions and can be used to verify any capital gains or losses.

What if I didn’t receive distributions from my non-registered investments in cash? Are they still taxable?

Yes. All distributions for non-registered investments are taxable, whether you receive them in cash or as additional units. All income types are taxable for the year received, except for return of capital (ROC). ROC is typically tax-deferred until your investment is sold.

For more information about the taxation of investments, please speak with your advisor or a qualified tax specialist.


Last reviewed: January 1, 2023

Please consult your advisor and read the prospectus or the Fund Facts document before investing. There may be commissions, trailing commissions, management fees, and expenses associated with mutual fund investments. Mutual funds are not guaranteed; their values change frequently and past performance may not be repeated. RBC Funds, PH&N Funds and BlueBay Funds are offered by RBC Global Asset Management Inc. and distributed through authorized dealers. This article is not intended to provide individual legal, accounting, tax, investment, financial or other advice and is for informational purposes only. Specific investment strategies should be considered relative to each investor’s objectives and risk tolerance. The information contained herein is provided by RBC Global Asset Management Inc. (RBC GAM) and believed to be up-to-date, accurate and reliable. Information obtained from third parties is believed to be reliable but RBC GAM and its affiliates assume no responsibility for any errors or omissions or for any loss or damage suffered.