The RBC Portfolio Solutions Team is based in Toronto, Canada. With a disciplined approach to asset allocation, we oversee a comprehensive lineup of multi-asset portfolios designed to meet a wide range of investor objectives.
- We take an active approach to portfolio management with a long-term investment view.
- We employ a team-based approach in order to provide our clients with the full depth and breadth of the combined expertise that RBC Global Asset Management has to offer, across asset classes and geographic regions.
- We diversify globally in an effort to reduce volatility and deliver a smoother investor experience.
- We manage the asset mix in line with our global forecasts and take a disciplined approach to rebalancing.
Active asset allocation
Diversified investment solutions
Studies have shown that the asset allocation decision is a key driver of long-term investment performance.1
When making asset allocation decisions, we consider all available investment options and establish optimal exposures to the various asset classes and strategies based on the overall portfolio parameters. The goal is to find the best blend of strategies that provides the maximum amount of return for the profile-appropriate level of risk.
Global presence, local expertise
RBC Portfolio Solutions are constructed from a family of RBC Funds spanning a diverse set of asset classes and geographic regions. This broadly diversified multi-fund structure benefits from each portfolio manager’s focus on how market trends specifically affect the asset class, region, or industry for which they are responsible.
Today, we have investment teams in key markets across the globe, along with multiple research and development teams who monitor ongoing developments in local markets.
StrategicThe strategic asset mix can be considered the benchmark or “neutral” investment plan that anchors a portfolio through many business and investment cycles.
TacticalMore active than the strategic asset mix, a tactical approach involves adjusting exposures to asset classes based on shorter-term market expectations.
Daily managementDaily management of portfolio drift and ongoing monitoring means the portfolios remain well-positioned throughout short-term market movements.
- Our tactical asset allocation process starts with the RBC Global Asset Management Investment Strategy Committee (RISC), which is led by the firm’s Chief Investment Officer, and made up of senior investment professionals from across the firm.
- RISC develops economic and market forecasts by assessing global fiscal and monetary conditions, projected economic growth and inflation, as well as the expected course of interest rates, major currencies, corporate profits and stock valuations.
- The views of RISC directly influence the work of the RBC Investment Policy Committee (IPC), which develops the tactical asset-mix strategies across all RBC Portfolio Solutions. Our team implements and monitors these strategies.
Since the first portfolio solution was launched in 1986, our investment process has continuously evolved. The increasing global presence of RBC Global Asset Management provides us with access to analysts and portfolio managers who possess a high level of skill and expertise in the markets that they cover. And with the advancement of technology, we have improved the way we monitor risk exposures, assess fund performance in real time and conduct scenario analysis to more accurately predict how investments will perform in various market conditions. We are constantly looking for ways to achieve better investor outcomes and we embrace innovation in a world of rapidly changing financial markets and investment options.